“You can’t do that!” “That’s ridiculous & never been done before.” “We aren’t interested in that kind of thing here.” “NO!!!”
I’m in Bangledesh sitting with our Saving Moses nightcare team, comprised of nannies, administrative support, guards & assistants. This team looks after babies & toddlers every night while their moms work in the adjacent brothel. When I came to this area last year to present my idea for nightcare, I already had many years experience where people told me all the things I listed at the beginning of this blog & even more. Thankfully, the people in Bangledesh weren’t opposed to my idea, although definitely surprised. And today, I’m abundantly fulfilled to sit with this wonderful team – grateful for each of them & believing in nightcare!
So when you face opposition, here are some things I’ve found to be helpful:
- See the goal – this helps to stay focused
- Take a step toward the goal, no matter how small
- Be creative – there’s more than one way to achieve a goal
- Failure is learning rather than defeat
- Encourage someone else – it helps to keep your heart joyful