One of my daughter’s friends had a basketball game last night & we we able to go, watch & cheer. These kinds of games bring back lots of different memories for me because I used to coach both jr & sr high school girls basketball. I thoroughly enjoyed coaching, but was also too competitive & I lived in the shortcomings of being too competitive (rash words, impatience, self-centered & more). Last night, I found myself again being vocal & probably too competitive.
Do you ever have those areas in your life where you tend to struggle??? Here are some thoughts about how to deal with these areas:
- avoidance – for years I never coached because I didn’t have the opportunity; now I think I didn’t coach because God knew that this weak spot can be a downfall for me
- celebrate progress – over the last year, I’ve been around coaching a bit more. My celebration is that even though I’m not where I need to be, at least I’m not as bad as I was 🙂
- accountability – last night I sat around some friends who would tell me to tone it down & I’m grateful for their help!
- honesty – a problem that is ignored or downplayed won’t get better
- be thankful – I’m grateful to God for helping me to grow, mature & become more like Christ through the power & presence of the Holy Spirit
- humility – arrogance sabotages growth & change