When I was growing up, my parents would always encourage me to develop my people skills – I still need to work on this area. I remember them saying that while I could learn lots of book knowledge, I would USE people skills every day and they’re right. People skills are really important – so here are a few things that I’m learning & I would LOVE for you to add your insights on what you feel are important people skills to develop 🙂
Here are some ideas to get our conversation started:
- respect – regardless of your frame of mind or preconceived ideas, each person with whom we interact needs respect, even if they’re behaving in disrespectful ways. I’ve never regretted being respectful, but I’ve always regretted being disrespectful
- serving others – when I get my mind to look for ways to help or serve others, rather than expecting to be served, I’m almost always deeply content & satisfied in ways that far eclipse the times when I am served
- humility – the attitude of “all that & a bag of chips” has never really worked for me; it almost always sabotages any kind of constructive interaction
- encouragement – I’ve found that people flourish & blossom with encouragement & genuine praise more than put downs & degradation.
- silence is golden – its very important to screen your thoughts before they’re expressed from your lips. When I say less, it seems that people think more of me – what a shock ,)
So what are some people skills you have or would like to have? Whadya think???