I really like to study languages. Thus far, I’ve studied probably half a dozen & it always fascinates me when I get to explore a language and how a culture communicates through it’s language. It also fascinates me to consider that anywhere from 40%-80% of the way we communicate is non-verbal. Furthermore, I would suggest that the better you know someone, the fewer words you need to communicate with them.
With these ideas in mind, it’s been my experience that God communicates with me in lots of different ways:
- Bible: ground zero, full stop
- a soft whisper or witness in my heart that’s difficult for me to ignore (1Kings 19)
- desires (Ps 37:4) – I ask God to guide me by giving me desires that affirm God’s plan, will and kingdom
- conversations – there are many times that God will speak to me through someone in some kind of seemingly common discussion, but something very uncommon stands out to me in that chat (Emmaus Road – Luke)
- very often, I don’t sense God speaking to me in words or verbally, but rather I sense God’s presence and I just enjoy keeping company with God
How do you sense and hear God? Please share with us! 🙂