Now that’s a loaded question with all kinds of implications. I think that some people won’t allow themselves to be mad or disappointed with God for fear of being disrespectful. Other folk go so far as to totally alienate any contribution or participation from God in their lives because of their anger, hurt or disappointment with God. Is there a healthy middle point? Can a person be angry, frustrated, hurt, disappointed with God but still keep their relationship withHim?
If you’re in this difficult spot, it can be helpful to read Job to see how he dealt with his anger, hurt & disappointment with God. Here are a few things I’ve learned from Job when it relates to being angry or disappointed with God:
- being honest with God is a necessary ingredient for intimacy with God
- stay engaged – withdrawing or pulling away from God hurts you and is a dead end
- give God plenty of space & time to respond to you
- be willing to adjust, repent & change
- arrogance undercuts any constructive dialogue with God