When I do physical therapy for my shoulder, I do some exercises (turkish getups, step ups, etc) that have some nice side benefits related to strengthening my core. Translation: my abs get a workout along with my shoulder. I’ve learned that when my abs are strong, the rest of my body has better alignment, agility and strength. In a similar way, I think that one of the core essentials to following Jesus is trusting Him.
So here are some core exercises to consider for your “Cross Training”:
- when you go through high pressure experiences, choose to lean into rather lean away from Jesus (don’t fall back on old habits or destructive patterns)
- consider doing some extra Bible memorizing to strengthen your muscle memory & provide a constructive alternative to the worry default
- pain is gain: I know my abs are getting a good workout when they hurt & following Jesus isn’t only about having perpetual pleasure
- agility comes with practice: the more I trust Jesus, the more adventures I get to enjoy rather than endure (Saving Moses is a great personal example)
- form is important to prevent injury: fully trusting Jesus yields better results than just trusting with pieces & parts
Have an awesome weekend & don’t fight the urge to pass this along to your friends 🙂