Christmas brings out the best & the worst in us. We tend to be more generous & compassionate but at the same time more impatient and cranky. Christmas motivates us to see the needs of people around us, like Saving Moses, but because of the increased pressure & work that can come with this season, we can also be more self-centered and less flexible. In the next few weeks, I’m planning to do some really practical & honest blogs about dealing with Christmas. Below are a few ideas about handling cranky people in the Christmas season:
- remember that Christmas isn’t an easy season for many people to navigate (deaths in family, difficult memories, loneliness, financial pressures, etc)
- if someone is cranky, don’t let their behavior & attitude infect your words or attitude
- plan ahead to be extra patient, gracious & kind (pre-planning our attitudes is a great tool to have available when the need arises)
- gain satisfaction from being generous & kind, not from the person’s reaction (internal versus external fulfillment)
- keep Jesus at the center – full stop.