Traveling around the world, I get to see lots of distinct preferences. For example, in Bangladesh they tend to enjoy spicy food & sometimes it’s REALLY spicy! In Brazil, they prefer community over individuality & the German language prefers precision over approximation.
But there’s one universal constant: everyone craves genuine love & I suspect this is by Divine design.
So if the universal constant throughout humanity is the desire for genuine love, it begs the question about how we can express genuine love.
When I think about expressing genuine love, I almost immediately feel inadequate & incapable. But if I think about expressing genuine love just a little more, then I’m not as discouraged. Here are some possibilities for consideration:
- Affirmation & encouragement: recognize & vocalize something good to total strangers with sincerity
- Gratitude: expressing thank you is a polite essential for genuine love
- I see you: not the exterior trappings of wealth, success, begging, poverty, dirt or broken
- Listen: hearing someone, being interested & asking questions is a way to be present & express concern, attention & genuine love
- Borrow love: there are always people who we find challenging to love. So think in terms of borrowing love from someone you know & letting that shape your mindset for the tricky people.
- Ask for more love – let’s never believe that we have enough genuine love. We exist, in part, for God to love not only us but also through us!